Khartoum, Sudan - Unknown gunmen Wednesday released four Chinese nationals they abducted on Saturday in the war-fatigued Darfur, a spokesperson for the African Union-United Nations Mission in Darfur (UNAMID), Dr. Aisha el Basri, announced here.
El Basri said the freed Chinese nationals, who were working with a Chinese road construction company, had been handed over to UNAMID.
The UNAMID official said, however, that 11 Sudanese nationals who were kidnapped along with the Chinese, have not yet been released.
She appealed to the abductors to release the 11 Sudanese because they were working on the road-building project for the interest of the people of Darfur.
Reporting from Al-Fashir, capital of North Darfur State, the Sudanese news agency quoted Mohamed Suleiman Rabih, the Commissioner of the Al-Kouma Locality, about 80 km southeast of Al-Fashir, where the abduction took place, as saying the Chinese were released after the arrest of three persons who arranged the abduction.
He said the Chinese nationals were set free 'in good health' and handed over to UNAMID which will arrange their departure back home.