AfriqueJet.com

Actualités en ligne & Information France Afrique

Ven01302015

Last updateJeu, 29 Jan 2015 3pm

Central African Republic: UN resumes food aid after three-week suspension

New York, US - The UN on Tuesday resumed food aid to some 100,000 displaced people in Bangui, capital of the strife-torn Central African Republic (CAR), for the first time in nearly three weeks since deliveries were suspended when machete-wielding men stormed the distribution site and food was stolen.


The last food distribution took place on 18 December.

A UN statement in New York said the UN World Food Programme (WFP) distributed food, buckets, tarpaulins and water containers provided by other organisations at Bangui airport where an estimated 100,000 people had sought refuge.

It also said that plans were underway to reach all displaced people there within 10 days.

However, it said that WFP officials had voiced deep concern at deteriorating security in the northwest of the country and urged all parties to the conflict to ensure safe access to people in need of assistance.

The UN noted that thousands of people were estimated to have been killed, while nearly 1 million had been displaced and 2.2 million, about half the population, were in dire need of humanitarian aid.

Pana 08/01/2014