Khartoum, Sudan - The Chairman of Darfur Regional Authority (DRA), Dr. Tigani Sese, has called for a rapid intervention by the authorities to check current wide scale attacks in which scores of villages have been burnt in Darfur.
Speaking at a press conference in Khartoum on Thursday, Sese condemned the 'devastating attacks' by a number of movements who were not signatory to the peace agreements. He said they had been waging wide-scale attacks in North and South Darfur states in which they torched more than 35 villages.
He said 18 of the burned villages were to receive returnees previously displaced by the conflict and 11 were among villages included in development plans for rehabilitation to accommodate voluntarily returning internally displaced persons and refugees.
Expressing his deep regret for the incidents, Sese said the attacks undermined what had been achieved over the past two years and would hinder the programme for voluntary return of refugees.
Tremendous losses were caused by the attacks on the villages and large numbers of civilians were displaced, said the DRA chief.
He said the situation demanded a rapid intervention by the authorities to avert a repeat which would have negative consequences for peace in Darfur and the region at large.
According to a UN report more than 15,000 people have fled the recent rebel attacks on villages in South Darfur and taken refuge in internally displaced persons camps of Kalmah and Salam, near Nyala, capital of South Darfur.