Tunis, Tunisia - The state of emergency imposed in Tunisia since the January 2011 popular uprising that kick-started the 'Arab Spring' was lifted on Wednesday, the Tunisian Presidency said in a statement issued here Thursday.
Troops who had been deployed for more than three years in all regions of the country to ensure the protection of sensitive public institutions have now returned to the barracks, Col. Mokhtar Ben Nasr told PANA.
The decision to lift the state of emergency follows a recommendation of the Council of National Safety, and came after consultation with the Speaker of the National Constituent Assembly Mustapha Ben Jaafar and Prime Minister Mehdi Jomaa, the statement said.
In a television interview on Monday, Mr. Jomaa said the security situation of the North African country had significantly improved after a successful crackdown on terrorist groups.
He however called for caution, given the capacity of the terrorists to strike at unsuspected moments.
The statement said the lifting of the state of emergency does not however limit the powers of the security structures of the country.
According to the statement, the military presence and operations in sensitive areas, especially near the country’s porous borders, will remain unchanged.
The areas near the borders with Libya and Algeria have been declared “no man's land” for several months in a bid to deal with terrorism and arms trafficking in those parts of the country.