Cape Town, South Africa - The case against eight South African policemen implicated in the brutal death of a Mozambican taxi driver last week was postponed by the Benoni Magistrate's Court on Monday.
Magistrate Sam Makamu granted a request by the prosecution that the policemen not be identified yet.
Two warrant officers and six constables have been charged with the murder of Mido Macia, who was tied to the back of a police van and dragged along a street last Tuesday. A witness filmed the assault.
Opposition parties this weekend demanded that President Jacob Zuma set up a judicial commission of inquiry into police brutality, after the incident which made headlines around the world.
“This country needs to know there is a plan to ensure they are not repeated over and over again,” said Democractic Alliance MP Dianne Kohler Barnard.
Former Cabinet member Ronnie Kasrils said President Zuma should fire the Minister of Police and the National Police Commissioner over the incident.
He said the culture of police brutality should be changed in line with the values the ruling African National Congress (ANC) fought for.