Dozens of civilians are feared to have been killed on Saturday night in a double explosion in Maiduguri, capital of Nigeria's northern Borno state which is regarded as the epicentre of the ongoing Boko Haram insurgency.
The police have yet to give a definite figure, with the state police boss Lawal Tanko saying 35 bodies had been evacuated from the scene and that rescue work was continuing, indicating the number could be higher.
The bombs were said to have been placed in a truck carrying firewood.
Eyewitnesses said the explosions occurred within 15 minutes of each other, with the second one doing greater damage because many had thronged the scene to help rescue the victims of the first blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which is the latest in a series targetting states in the North-east, where three states have been placed under a state of emergency to curtail the activities of the Islamic sect.
In one of the worst attacks in recent days, suspected Boko Haram insurgents killed at least 29 students of the Federal Government College in Buri-Yadi, Yobe State, on Monday night.