Cape Town, South Africa - South Africa Paralympian Oscar Pistorius Friday marked the one year anniversary of the fatal shooting of his model girlfriend on Valentine's Day by expressing his “sorrow” at the tragedy which sent shock waves around the world.
The double amputee, who is known as the blade runner, shot Reeva Steenkamp through his toilet door at his luxury Pretoria home and then claimed he mistook her for an intruder.
His trial for premeditated murder is scheduled to begin in two weeks.
“No words can adequately capture my feelings about the devastating accident that has caused such heartache for everyone who truly loved - and continues to love Reeva,” Pistorius wrote on his personal website. “The pain and sadness - especially for Reeva's parents, family and friends - consume me with sorrow. The loss of Reeva and the complete trauma of that day, I will carry with me for the rest of my life,” he said.
Meanwhile, Judge Thokozile Masipa, who will preside over the murder trial, confirmed she has appointed two assessors to assist her in the North Gauteng High Court.
However, she has yet to identify them.
Earlier this week, it was revealed that a vital piece of criminal evidence from the case has yet to be analysed.
The cellphone that was recovered from the Paralympian is in the possession of the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
It is believed the iPhone contains vital evidence, but Pistorius claims he has forgotten the password and South African investigators want phone manufacturer Apple to help analyse encrypted data on the phone.
The FBI, which is acting as the facilitator, said it is waiting for the original court documents requesting the encryption before it contacts the California-based company.
At least 107 witnesses are expected to testify during the trial. They include residents of the Silver Woods estate in Pretoria, where Pistorius lived, medical experts, a weather forecaster, paramedics and ballistic and forensic experts.