Lagos, Nigeria - Suspected members of the Islamic sect Boko Haram on Tuesday night killed 39 people and injured over 50 in an attack on Konduga village, located some 35km from Maiduguri, capital of Nigeria's northern Borno state, which is regarded as the spiritual base of the sect, the state government said.
Gov. Kashim Shema gave the figures when he visited the ruins of the town on Wednesday. Many houses, schools and clinics were also set ablaze by the attackers, said to number hundreds and riding in trucks.
The governor could not hide his tears when he visited the town on Wednesday to condole with the surviving villagers. He said the attackers destroyed up to 70% of the town.
“I sympathise deeply with the people of Konduga over this unfortunate incident. It was more shocking given the intensity of the attack...We have immediately ordered for the release of 100 million Naira to start the rehabilitation work and the purchase of items like food, clothing, beddings and so on, for the hapless victims of this madness,' the local media quoted him as saying.
“I have gone round the town and have seen that up to 70 per cent of the town have been razed to the ground. Most facilities have been burnt down: schools, hospital, dispensaries, government office and even the district palace have been burnt. We are willing to expend whatever resources it will take to restore back those facilities. Even if it cost us a billion naira to fix back the damages; so be it,” he said.
The attack occurred despite the fact that Borno is one of the three states placed under a state of emergency by President Goodluck Jonathan last year, as part of efforts to curtail the attacks by the sect, which has killed thousands since launching its violent campaign in 2009.
Thousands of troops have been deployed to the three states, which include Adamawa and Yobe states, but they have so far failed to stop the attacks, even though they claimed to have scored some successes against the insurgents.